Hundreds of Nigerians leave SA in buses

By Doug Mattushek - 11 September 2019Views : 9505


Hundreds of Nigerians bid farewell to South Africa on Wednesday morning.

TimesLIVE reports that four buses full of fleeing Nigerians departed from the Nigerian Consulate in Johannesburg. The SABC reports that the buses are destined for the airport, where a plane sponsored by Air Peace will grant them free passage back home.

ALSO READ: Nigerians set to leave Mzansi in droves

The president of the Nigeria Citizens Association of SA, Ben Okoli, revealed that entire families had been uprooted following the recent wave of xenophobic attacks.

"Their means of livelihood have been completed destroyed," Okoli told TimesLIVE.

"I don't think these ones who are leaving today are going to come back, because they actually expressed their desire to leave. They feel that they are no longer happy staying here after what they have experienced."

One man, who asked to remain anonymous, provided for his family with a shop in Johannesburg. But his means for making a living was taken away when his shop was looted and set alight. He came to drop off his family for their own safety while he remains to pick up the pieces and re-evaluate.

"My family back home in Nigeria is so worried," said the man.

"I just want my family to be secure and leave South Africa because of the way things are going. My shops and everything have been burnt down, so there is no way I can feed them now."

Image: Alon Skuy/TimesLIVE